In 2015, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission released its six-year investigation into the legacy of residential schools, including specific steps to take. Step 48 calls on religious organizations to publish their plan of compliance with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Culture is incredibly valuable. Baptist Women wants to bless and value Indigenous cultures.
Jesus calls us to cross-cultural connection. Baptist Women will make gentle overtures of friendship to Indigenous Peoples.
Our first steps since 2015
- curated and published an ongoing series on Indigenous women in live magazine
- sponsored three Indigenous Peoples conferences (September 2015, October 2016 and October 2018)
- supported Association events like the Niagara-Hamilton Baptist Women’s event (October 2016)
- two visits to Misstissini, Quebec
- executive director participation in First Nations consultation group
- workshops led by Indigenous women and/or about Indigenous issues at both our April and November 2016 Women’s Conferences
- grants and bursaries dispersed to organizations working with Indigenous women and children
Read this article about one community outreach ministry run by an Indigenous woman with ongoing support from Baptist Women.